18 April 2009

Olduvai Gorge


In 1960 I got my first subscription to National Geographic Magazine. That year there was an article that fascinated me greatly. It was about the discovery of Australopithecus boisei, or Zinjanthropus man, by Louis Leakey in Olduvai Gorge in Tanganyika. Little did I dream that about 10 years later I would have the privilege of visiting the site.

Olduvai Gorge

Olduvai Gorge

Olduvai Gorge



The site of the discovery of Zinjanthropus man.



Leakey's assistant, I believe his name is Francis, showing the major excavation site at the time of my visit. It was covered to protect it from the elements.



Small markers indicate fossils being carefully excavated from the site.



A portion of a leg bone of a prehistoric elephant.



Almost any stone lying around contained fossilized remains.

I later was able to see the Zinjanthropus man skull at the National Museum in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.

No comments: